RD 784 was established in May 1908, and operates under the authority of the State of California's Central Valley Flood Protection Board and the Department of Water Resources. RD 784 covers approximately 40,676 acres including 33.59 miles of levees, more than 60 miles of internal drainage canals, and ten pumping stations.
The district's boundaries are: North - Yuba River, South - Bear River, West- Feather River, East - Western Pacific Interceptor Canal. The district encompasses over 11,000.00 structures.
A board of trustees made up of 5 local landowners is the local governing body and they are elected to serve 4 year terms.